People are not apples.
I read someone who used the phrase "It only takes one bad apple to ruin a whole bunch" recently referring to one guy ruining a whole group of guys.
And I thought, people are not apples.
While that phrase in partially true in the way that who we hang out with determines a lot about us - never underestimate the power of peers - people are also very different from apples.
People have feelings. They rationalize. They communicate. They laugh and they cry and they make mistakes and learn from them.
Apples? Well, they taste good, and look pretty in a still-life painting. And they make good pies and turnovers. But that's about it.
A person I used to really look up to spent a long time trying to convince me that people don't change. That once someone's a bad person, they always will be. But I don't believe that's true, not one bit. Maybe I'm hopelessly optimistic, but people can change. People can quit smoking. People can learn a new skill. People who were once full of hate can be full of love. I've seen it.
And most of all, I've lived it. People who know me know I'm an extremely outgoing, happy person. I laugh and smile about as much as I breathe. But that wasn't always the case. I wasn't always a happy person. But I changed, and for the better; who I am now is who I am meant to be.
Personally, I see God as the ultimate changer. God is what really empowers people to make positive changes in their lives. But we have to let him. And I can't discount the fact that people who don't believe in God can also change.
But really, it comes down to believing in yourself. You can change if you believe you can. Some changes will be easier than others; there's no denying that. But we need to remember that others can change as well. Just because you hang out with a negative group of people doesn't mean you are completely without hope.
If you ever find yourself struggling, remind yourself that you are not an apple. And don't claim that all others are either.
Tuesday, November 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment